Flight Instructor Pilot Briefings
These pages contain information specific to Flight Instructor Soaring pilots.
Department of Homeland Security - Transportation Security Administration (DHS-TSA) Exemption Letter
On September 20, 2004 the TSA published a rule requiring security training for US flight instructors and US flight Schools. On October 29, 2004 the SSA/SSF received an letter exempting Glider only flight instructors and glider only flight schools from this training requirement. The exemption letter is available in MS-word and PDF formats.
THE SSA INSTRUCTOR
The SSAI (SSA Instructor) awards A-B-C-Bronze Badges to pilots who have completed the badge requirements. Every club and commercial operator should have an SSAI on staff. Contact the SSF Badge coordinator (Burt Compton) for more details on how to participate in this program.
THE FAA Glider Flight Instructor
- Pilot Endorsements - Looking for the exact wording for that transition pilot endorsement? This link provides the recommended text, with references to the applicable FAR(s), for all your endorsement needs.
- Glider Flight Instructor Protection Update (4-18-02) - An update article written by Pat Costello providing new information on a Non-owned Insurance Policy and Professional Liability extension structured specifically for the CFIG.
- Glider Flight Instructor Protection - An article written by Pat Costello detailing the availability of a new Non-owned Insurance Policy and Professional Liability extension structured specifically for the CFIG.
- CFI Supervision and Aviation Insurance Contracts - In recent months, we have received a number of questions concerning the definition of "Supervised Solo" as it relates to flight instructor responsibility to oversee the flight operations of student pilots. The following article was written by Pat Costello for the Soaring Safety Foundation and the SSA Instructors.
- Pilot Induced Oscillations and Grobs - A detailed look at PIO accidents in Grobs. Great information for all glider pilots and certainly a must for Grob drivers.
- On Being a Tow Pilot - An insightful article by Gene Hammond outlining the legal and professional obligations of the tow pilot.
- Minimizing Flight Instructor Liability - One of the most significant areas of concern in today's flight training environment.
- Training Accidents - When are you and your student most at risk?
- Communicating for Safety - Accident prevention through effective communication.
- Flight Reviews - A necessary evil or a golden opportunity?
- A CFI Conference - Tom Knauff's notes from a CFI conference held at Keystone Glider Port in Julian, PA.
"SSF Logbook Order Form" - Order yours from the SSA merchandise department today!
"SSF Video Order Form" - All videos are avialble via the SSF SSF YouTUbe Channel .
"INSTRUCTORS ASK" - Go There! An ever increasing list of issues and information of interest to glider instructors.
SSA Instructor Application - Click to download (PDF format)
Blank Bronze Badge Answer Sheet - Click to download (PDF format)
Sample generic Private Pilot Training Guide - Click to download (PDF format)